CR 4145, 4 miles east of Cranfills Gap
St. Olaf Lutheran Rock Church was built in 1886 from native stone by architect Andrew Mickelson and his brothers, Christian and Ole Mickelson. It originally had a dirt floor and planks laid on wooden kegs for pews. The bell was acquired in 1897.
The church served the Norwegian settlers of this area, who were members of Our Savior's Lutheran Church of Norse (6 miles east). In 1902, the growth of the community necessitated separation from the Norse church, and the St. Olaf congregation was organized.
The church is currently used for Saturday services, and special occasions.
For more information, call 254-597-2738.
Places to Visit
Bosque Arts Center
Cell Block Museum
ClassicChassis Auto Museum
Lake Whitney Dam
Red Caboose Winery
Texas Heritage Museum
Whitney Area Museum